2010 Moscow Metro Bombings

In March 2010 my family went to see our extended family after the death of my grandfather. Since Dimitri and I were in school for one week before spring break we stayed at home while our parents and Boris and Mikhel went to Moscow. Before they left they packed our stuff for us, clothing and other stuff so we don’t need to worry about our stuff. For a week when they were gone Dimitri drove us to and from school everyday, ordered a lot of pizza while our parents called at least twice a day to check up on their eighteen year old son and their fifteen year old daughter.

When we landed in Russia everything seemed fine. We were tired because of the long flight so all we wanted to do is sleep and stop the ringing in our ears. Our father was going to meet us at the Lubyanka station in Moscow. It was the start of rush hour with people going home from work or other places so it was jam packed with people. When we arrived at the station, I was so excited to see our family again. I was eager to get out of the train doors as fast as possible, so I would be the first one that stepped out, which almost killed me.

The same train and train station was a target for a terrorist attack. Maryam Sharipova, a 28 year old school teacher from the war torn Dagestan wore a suicide belt. It is unclear what her motives were, but female suicide bombers from Dagestan and Chechnya are called black widows. Her bomb had powerful explosives and was packed with nails, bolts and other small metal objects to cause as much death as possible. I was outside when the bomb went off, while my brother was safe inside the train. My memory after this is only in short pieces, I remember the smoke, the ambulance. The rest of what happened is a blank, until I woke up in a hospital with stitches in my shoulder. This is my brothers recount of the attack.

When the bomb went off the whole train jolted with tremendous force. The sound is something I can’t describe, but it was loud. Right after the explosion people started running and screaming, pushing me aside as they rushed to safety. Once I got off I got off the train I was frantic to find my sister. In the rubble, covered in dust she was laying on her back with a large piece of metal stuck in her shoulder. She was still awake, but in shock and she didn’t say a word. I helped her the best I can as the smoke filled the station. Everyone was running, while we were moving very slowly. After two minutes police officers started to rush down the station. One officer told another to get an ambulance ready for a injury as he helped me get my sister out of the station. Once outside they took her straight to the hospital, but the officer told me that she needed surgery to survive.